Sunshine Cake – A Delicious Buttery Almond Tart Recipe
There’s something about a tart that hits the delicious spot like nothing else. Tarts are different from pies or cake and if you haven’t had the chance to make one yet, you need to start here. This tart is called a Sunshine Cake and for good reason. You will be beaming with joy once you’ve tasted it. I’m always excited to bake anything that’s got the words, almond tart in it, and when I saw this recipe, I knew it was going to be a home run.
The crust on this almond tart is simply delicious. Tart crusts are usually made from pastry dough and are traditionally flour, unsalted butter, cold water, and sometimes sugar and the results are a firm, crumbly crust. Tarts are typically baked in a pan with a removable bottom (that’s what I used) or in pastry ring on top of a baking sheet.
If you love baking easy no fuss desserts then you are going to love this. And, all you need is a whisk to blend everything.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, cooled, plus more for pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Pearl sugar (for sprinkling; optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour 9-inch pie plate
- Whisk eggs, granulated sugar, almond extract, and salt in a large bowl until frothy and pale for about 30 seconds.
- Add butter and flour and stir until incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pie plate or tart pan.
- Top with almonds and pearl sugar.
- Bake cake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20–25 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool slightly before serving.
- I doubled this recipe. The original recipe called for half of all ingredients but I noticed with my tart pan it was going to be enough - you can adjust this recipe depending on the size of your pan. I used an 11 inch tart pan.
It’s as simple as two quick steps. Both mixing steps were done with a whisk.
Make sure your pan is greased well – I used Pam and coated it with flour. I used an 11-inch tart pan so be sure to adjust the recipe accordingly.
Top with sliced almonds and you are ready to go.
Once baked, you will see a beautiful golden color. Let cool and serve. Simply delicious!
Each bite is perfection – Whether it’s for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack it’s the perfect dessert. Perfect when accompanied by nothing but a steaming cup of coffee or tea.
Be sure to check out my other delicious dessert recipes too!
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links which means if you click-through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
Let me know if you have any questions about the process. Enjoy!
And as always, thanks so much for stopping by! If you like this post, Sunshine Cake – A Delicious Buttery Almond Tart Recipe, subscribe via email below and never miss a post again!
Be sure to try this delicious recipe for Myer Lemon Ricotta Cake too!