How To Make The Most Delicious Italian Stuffed Artichokes
Artichokes are so underestimated. A lot of folks think they are either a lot of work or just don’t know how simply amazing they are stuffed.
Artichokes make the most amazing appetizers too. I’ve even had them as a main course for dinner too! They are super good for you as well – they are a great source of fiber, low in calories and are loaded with anti-oxidants.
Don’t think just because they are “stuffed” that takes away from just how good they are for you. In essence, they are lightly stuffed so eating one is not so guilt-laden as you think.
I love adding the Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese – it’s literally the ingredient that pulls everything together perfectly.
OK, so, let’s get to it. I’m going to show you just how I’ve prepared these Italian Stuffed Artichokes and how you can easily make some too!
In case you are wondering, how do I eat them? Well, you pull off a leaf and eat the beefy part of it by scraping it off with your teeth. The tips of the artichoke are loaded with a type of veggie meat that is super delicious especially loaded with the breadcrumb mixture. Once you get to the base of the artichoke, there’s where you hit pay dirt! There’s a delicious thick meaty heart there that’s amazing!
You can leave out the dipping butter and lemon sauce if you are looking to keep it healthy. What? Did I just say that? Go for it! I like to pour the sauce into little ramekins for each person. It’s so foo-foo isn’t it?
The buttery dipping sauce is so amazing – I’ll doubt you will want to miss out on it – but, if you do, the stuffed artichokes are still off the hook delicious!
- Mix 3 cups breadcrumbs – I love using Panko for that extra punch of flavor.
- 3 grated garlic cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- Breadcrumb Mixture - mix all ingredients with olive oil until it becomes a paste. Add more OO if needed. Be sure to add the Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese and other ingredients.
- Trim 4 large artichokes by removing the stems.
- Separate the leaves a little and trim the edges off – I like to trim the larger leaves especially if they have brown tips.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil or you can use a steamer.
- Stand upright in a steamer basket over simmering water, cover and steam over medium-low heat, adding more water as needed. Boil until tender about 1 hour, 20 minutes depending on how large your artichokes are. Don’t overcook them or they will fall apart.
- Stuff the bread crumb mixture between each – you can either lightly stuff them or heavily stuff them. It’s up to you.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake on 375 for about 20 minutes or until the breadcrumb mixture has browned.
- Melt butter and squeeze the juice of a ½ lemon.
PIN IT for later!
If you have any questions or comments please leave them in the comment section below.
And as always, thanks so much for stopping by! If you like this post, How To Make The Most Delicious Italian Stuffed Artichokes, subscribe via email below and never miss a post again!