Easy General Tso’s Chicken Stir Fry Recipe – Healthier Version!
If you love chicken recipes especially stir fry then you are going to flip over this easy General Tso’s Chicken recipe. It’s packed with bursting flavors, and this recipe is a healthier version because of the way I prepared the chicken – more importantly, what I decided to leave out!
I’m always looking for ways to make my recipes healthier and easier too and decided to make General Tso’s Chicken, which we love, a bit healthier but keep the same savory flavors. I think I nailed it!
Generally, General Tso’s Chicken is battered and fried which is the part I decided to alter – when all was said and done, I ended up with an easier healthier recipe that is just as good as the original General Tso’s Chicken recipe if not better. You can avoid the extra calories and grease simply by omitting the batter.
Another thing I did to make this dish even healthier was to pour all the oil I used to cook it in out before I added the General Tso’s Chicken sauce.
I also decided to purchase the Vegetable Brown Rice from a local restaurant instead of making it myself. I have to say, the idea was brilliant because I didn’t have to spend the time cooking it myself and the cost of purchasing it was low. It’s a win-win! We love eating chicken dishes over rice, and the Vegetable Brown Rice was the perfect accompaniment to this delicious General Tso’s Chicken dish.
As you can see, this rice is packed with delicious vegetables and full of goodness and flavor too. It has carrots, pea pods, celery, onions, and water chestnuts.
- 4-5 Chicken Breasts – sliced into cubes or strips
- I bag Broccoli – Frozen Broccoli Florets
- 1 large Onion sliced
- ½ Cup Canola Oil for Frying
- 1 Bottle Premade General Tso’s Style Stir Fry Sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Vegetable Brown Rice – purchased from local restaurant or you can make it yourself
- Cut chicken breast into cubes or strips depending on your preference.
- In a large skillet or wok, fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes
- Then add sliced onion and cook until the chicken and onion has a nice brown glaze.
- Microwave the broccoli for a few minutes and then add it to the chicken and onion mix
- Cover for about 15 minutes and cook on a low flame.
- Drain all the remaining oil and add the Premade General Tsao Style Stir Fry Sauce.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes covered.
- Serve over Vegetable Brown Rice and enjoy!
- The bottled General Tso’s Sauce is only 40 calories per serving!
The leftovers are super delicious too. I always make extra because we really enjoy them for lunch the next day.
Be sure to check out some of my other delicious recipes too – Let me know if you have a specific recipe request you would like to see me make!
Let me know if you have any questions about this delicious and easy General Tso’s Chicken Stir Fry Recipe. I’ll be sure to get back to you straight away. I know you and your family are going to enjoy this dish as much as we did.
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links which means, if you click-through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!
And as always, thanks so much for stopping by! If you like this post, Easy General Tso’s Chicken Stir Fry Recipe – Healthier Version!, subscribe via email below and never miss a post again!
[irp posts=”19396″ name=”How To Brew Loose Leaf Tea – The Best Tea You Will Ever Have”]