Homemade Applesauce With Potato Latkes – A Positively Perfect Pair!
If you’ve never made, tried, or even heard of potato latkes then get ready experience one of the most delicious pairings in food history! Homemade Applesauce with Potato Latkes are truly a palatable experience you will won’t forget.
Latkes, or potato pancakes, are delectable delicious by themselves but once paired with homemade applesauce, well, the skies open up and the angels begin to sing!
According to Plated.com – “Latkes are fried potato pancakes traditionally served during Hanukkah—the 8-day Jewish holiday sometimes referred to as the “Festival of Lights.” They are typically prepared by combining grated potatoes with eggs to form a batter, formed into small pancakes, then fried in oil. If desired, applesauce and sour cream can be served alongside hot latkes”.
Growing up in New York City, eating Jewish food was an integral part of our food repertoire. I came to love the decadent flavors of foods like the potato knish, pastrami sandwiches, matzo ball soup, and especially rugelach!
Homemade Applesauce with Potato Latkes is truly one of the best comfort foods you will ever experience. I made them for dinner and didn’t miss eating meat at all. At the end of the meal, we felt satisfied, comforted, and our palettes were in a state of bliss!
Watching them fry is a visual experience too. Waiting for these perfectly peeled potatoes to brown really gets your mouth-watering!
- Potato Latkes Recipe
- 3 large baking potatoes
- 3 large egg, whisked
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter (it's best to use clarified butter for this recipe as it keeps them from burning)
- Homemade Applesauce Recipe
- 6 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup white sugar - you can use any type of sugar you like
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup water
- Peel the potatoes and grate them on a box grater or a grater that has larger holes.
- Wrap the grated potatoes in a kitchen towel (or you can use paper towels too) and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Combine the potatoes in a bowl with the egg, flour, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- It’s best to use clarified butter (remove all the milk solids and water but are left with the butterfat.) for this as it keeps the latkes from burning.
- Melt the clarified butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Place a tablespoon of the potato mixture into the sizzling butter and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn the pancakes over and cook for another 2 minutes, or until crisp on the outside and golden brown.
- Serve the pancakes hot and pair them with the homemade applesauce.
- In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.
- I prefer larger apple chunks in mine but you can mash as much or as little as you like.
Once you’ve made your own applesauce, you will buy never buy store-bought again! And, kids love this duo! It’s good for them too! It’s a family-friendly dish for sure.
When you are grating the potatoes, be sure to use a grater with large enough holes as you will want a long thicker potato consistency. You can use a box grater or if you have a handheld grater that will work perfectly fine too!
The latke mixture is so easy to make – for that matter so is the homemade applesauce. That’s another reason to love this Homemade Applesauce with Potato Latkes pairing! All healthy and simple ingredients and deliciously decadent at the same time.
There’s nothing better than finding that perfect bite – the perfect ratio of food paired together at the tip of your fork!
Adding the sour cream really seals the deal. It’s the perfect way to turn this delicious pair into a creamy bit of heaven. Have I convinced you to make this yet? Good! My job is done!
I was a member of the clean plate club when eating this delicious combo. Come on! I know you can be one too!
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links which means, if you click-through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog!
And as always, thanks so much for stopping by! If you like this post, Homemade Applesauce With Potato Latkes – A Positively Perfect Pair! subscribe via email below and never miss a post again!