When it comes to wall decorating ideas, it’s not always easy to understand the principles behind them. Now, you can use wall these wall decorating ideas to define any room in your home. Whether you are starting a grand home renovation project or just defining your space, discover new ways and rules that work.
Why Use Wall Decorating Ideas And Rules For Your Home
Whether you moved into a new home or apartment or decided to up the level of decor where you live, it can seem overwhelming. Having an eye for design isn’t always easy, especially when it comes to our wall decor. That’s why it’s a good idea to understand the general rules first.
Naturally, most of us use our instincts when coming up with new wall decorating ideas, but that doesn’t always work. Still, it is often better to take some expert-approved tips that will make the task of decorating a little more comfortable.
After all, wall decor’s importance (regardless of whether it is in the living room, bedroom, or even bathroom) is equal to matching furniture or adding stylish finishes to a room. If you don’t have an interior designer to assist you, it can all become overwhelming.
Below, you’ll discover some wall decorating ideas and guidelines to help you along the way. And inspire you to take that step into defining your living space into a whole new look.
When The Main Focus Is Art
Using art is one of the most popular and versatile ways when it comes to decorating walls. From hanging large-scale art to creating gallery walls, the sky’s the limit. When it comes to wall decorating ideas, wall art is a great place to begin.
You can pick from millions of paintings, photographs, graphics, or illustrations from an abounding number of artists and use wall art to bring originality to your home. When done correctly, the wall hangings can provide an outstanding framework around which you can plan the rest of the room.
When hanging wall art, there are a few aspects that you need to take into consideration:
- Art to wall ratio: If you work with bare walls, we recommend following the 4/7 rule. That means that you should hang pieces that take up around 4/7 (multiply the width of your wall by 0.57) of the width of the wall. If you want to group art, treat the cluster as you would one single piece.
- Getting the right height: Hanging art at the right height is also important. Too high will affect the room’s proportion, and too low you will make the viewing uncomfortable. That is why it is best to hang artwork at eye level and 60 inches from the center to the floor. If you are hanging your art above furniture, it should be 4-6 inches above the piece. If the artwork is going above a sofa or console, it should be approximately 2/3 of the furniture’s width.
- Playing with proportions: This aspect is also to keep an eye on. Make sure you do not let your room overwhelm the art, nor the art dominate the space.
- Try to keep a balance: For example, if you already have a significant number of furniture pieces, opt for large-scale art. Too many small elements can make the space look cluttered. When you want to hang small art pieces, consider displaying them as a cluster. They need to be in balance, either symmetrically or asymmetrically. This way, don’t feel lost in the room.
Decorating Accent Walls
Creating an accent wall is a flexible, stylish, and budget-friendly decorating option. Plus, you have unlimited paint or other material options to consider. Accent walls are the perfect way to define your home as well as adding unique style and flair.
More so, accent walls are a great way to experiment with color, material, and pattern on your walls without fully committing to changing the room’s foundations. Plus, you can add an accent wall to every room in your home without creating design chaos.
And when it comes to the effect they have in a room, accent walls can change the entire look. Accent walls look great in any room. And for the most part, you don’t need to follow specific rules.
Yet, there are a few essential wall decorating ideas to keep in mind:
- Chose bold colors and materials: By nature, accent walls stand out and make a statement. Try using bold colors or patterns for your wall. Always pay attention to the room’s layout. Make sure and coordinate your decor elements and accent pieces with the wall. Moreover, don’t limit yourself to paint. Try adding large bold prints or pops of vibrant color. You can even consider other mediums like stone or tile.
- Choose the right wall: Accent walls are great for rooms without an architectural feature, especially one with texture. A wall with windows can also be your accent wall, but so can a ceiling. It all depends on your boldness and imagination.
- Take into account your room’s color and other walls: Accent walls work well in practically any setting, from neutral color rooms to bright ones. However, it is always good to pay attention and match your accent wall with the room’s dominant color. Most accent walls look best when they join walls in a light to medium shade. Try and balance an intense accent wall color with neutral wall colors on the other walls.
When Showcasing Fabric
An original way to dress up your walls beyond repainting or hanging art is showcasing fabrics. You can opt for wall fabric, a tapestry, or even a 70s macramé wall hangings. Adding fabrics to your wall is a great way to add a whole level of unique style and up your decor.
Typically, a tapestry or hanging wall fabric can add color and pattern in a room and softness and coziness to the space. If you can not afford a tapestry, consider framing vintage scarves or other pretty textiles. When it comes to wall decorating ideas, it’s a great way to set your home apart.
There are two basic rules when hanging fabrics pieces:
- Not all fabric is the same: For example, tapestries are statement pieces. They are the perfect addition to spaces where they can significantly impact, like living rooms or big hallways. The best place to display them is above a couch or sideboard cabinets. On the other hand, macrame hangings tend to work as ideal pieces for bedrooms, dining rooms, and even a kitchen.
- Hanging fabrics: There are several ways to hang a piece of fabric on a wall, all depending on the type. When it comes to tapestry, the easiest way is by using nails or pushpins. This method is perfect for larger weaves.
Additionally, hang the tapestry by the corners for a casual drape or attach with a row of nails spread across the piece’s top for a refined look. Another good idea is to stretch the tapestry over a wood frame, attach it with a staple gun, and use sawtooth picture hangers to mount on the wall.
If your textile is thin, you may want to stretch and staple a canvas to the frame first, so the wood isn’t visible through the fabric. On the other hand, if you’re going to hang vintage scarves or other textiles, the best way is by framing. Then to attach it to the wall, apply the same rules as with any other art pieces.
Closing Thoughts On Wall Decorating Ideas
Now, you have some creative wall decorating ideas for your home, and you can get started right away. Remember, your home is your sanctuary, so listen to your instincts and always choose what works best for you.
You can make the most of your backyard swimming pool with some resort-style upgrades. Now, you can discover how to make the most of your swimming pool. Transform your backyard space into a fun and exciting retreat the whole family will enjoy!
Don’t Forget To PIN Your Inspiration By Using The Image Below!