How I Changed My Diet And Lost Over Fifty Pounds
As you know, there’s literally tons of stories, advice, and how-tos on how to lose weight out there. But I believe, sharing a personal story about how I changed my diet and lost over fifty pounds can help motivate you too!
If you are looking to change your diet and start eating healthier this personal journey might inspire you as well.
Why I Changed My Diet
The day I changed my diet, I didn’t want to make it all about eating salads and chicken either. I knew it wasn’t just about losing weight but also about eating healthier and changing how I think about food in general.
As with most of us, after struggling with some health issues, I started to pack on the weight. I know I gained over fifty pounds which made me utterly miserable.
Trust me, it’s not easy to talk about and shocking at how fast it happens. In my case, it wasn’t due to overeating but more so, eating the wrong types of foods.
Back in May of last year, I began my journey to eat healthier and knew I not only had to lose the weight but changing my mindset as well. I started by drastically lower my carbohydrate intake.
Additionally, due to the removal of my thyroid years ago, I knew lower my carb intake was the first step.
While it’s essential to eat foods rich in carbohydrates, I knew cutting back on carbs would jumpstart my weight loss and motivate me at the same time.
Within the months to follow, I consistently dropped the weight simply by reducing carbs and standing my ground against temptation.
Avoid The Following Foods:
My diet consisted of salads, chicken, beef, lots of veggies, fruits like berries and of course nuts. Was it difficult? Yes, but once I got in the habit of excluding these food groups, it became easier each day.
Be sure to check with your physician before altering your diet. It’s important to do this and I did the same.
How To Start Eating Healthier
There are plenty of options for you to start eating healthier. When I changed my diet, I knew preparing food would be challenging and involve more preparation.
Whatever diet you choose, you’ll need to plan your meals at least two days in advance. It’s always a good idea to do this and avoid the temptation of returning to old habits.
As most of us work and cooking and planning require the time we don’t have, you can always try a meal plan creator service.
I do recommend them and use them on and off as my schedule dictates. Remember, when I changed my diet, I also changed my way of thinking about food too.
Moreover, these types of services offer a wide variety of meals like low carb, clean eating, ketogenic, paleo, vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, allergy-free, and batch cooking.
Ideally, do whatever it takes to get you started on your journey towards eating healthy and losing weight. When I changed my diet, it changed my world!
How To Change Your Mindset And How You Think About Food
It’s not easy to change how you think about food but, you can do it. Below, you’ll discover some tips I use every day to change how I think about food.
I believe changing the way you think about food is half the battle!
Try These Tips Below:
- Analyze Your Eating Habits: Think about how and when you eat. Do you like to snack late at night? When do you consume the most calories and why? Look into patterns about how and when you eat the most.
- Don’t Plan on Failing: As mentioned above, you need a plan every day. Planning your meals isn’t difficult and can be fun. Keep it interesting and try eating something different every time to eat. If you slip one day don’t let that deter you. I slipped many days and always hit the reset button and started again.
- Food is not Comfort: Many of us eat for the comfort that food gives us and not because we are hungry. Take note of when you reach for unhealthy foods and immediately find something constructive to do. Maybe it involves learning a new craft or painting a piece of old furniture. When cravings hit, distract yourself. Think about food differently. It’s not a crutch but a way to sustain yourself and yes, you can enjoy it too!
- Don’t Skip Meals: I am guilty of this but don’t let that happen to you. Skipping meals prevents binge eating! Plan your meals and make good choices. If that means lowering your carb intake, then go for it.
- Eat Slowly: This is a big one! I’m sure you heard eating slower is much healthier for you and it is. The slower you eat, the less you’ll eat. Your stomach needs time to send the signal to your brain that you are indeed full. Give your stomach a chance to send it and eat slower.
- Snacking Is OK – Choose The Right Snacks: I love to snack, especially at night while watching TV. Yep, I do allow myself to eat some chips too but in moderation. I make sure to eat one serving and not a drop more. Choose smart snacks like berries, nuts, and protein bars.
- Eat Before You Shop: We all know shopping on an empty stomach leads to disastrous food choices. Make sure you eat a healthy meal before you head out to the grocery store.
You Can Do This!
You can change the way you think about food. It’s not easy but with the right motivation, you can do it!
Furthermore, I changed my diet and so can you. When you feel yourself slipping, reach out to friends and family for support. It means a lot and it surely helped me.
Ideally, make sure you get plenty of exercise as well. With the addition of our pooch, Ollie, I walk now more than ever before. Whatever exercise plan you decide on, make sure you stick to it.
If you need some motivation, reach out to me via email or the comments below. Since I changed my diet and am sticking to it, my entire outlook on how I look, feel. And I know I’ll continue to lose more weight too and maintain it.
Of course, I’ll keep you all posted on my continued plan to eat better and look better too!
Be sure to read How To Eat Healthy Snacks On The Keto Diet too!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, Viglink, and RewardStyle and other Associate Affiliate Programs. Affiliate advertising programs like these provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to these affiliated sites. Thank you for supporting our website.
And as always, thanks so much for stopping by! If you like this article, How I Changed My Diet And Lost Over Fifty Pounds, subscribe via email below and never miss a post again!