Here’s Why These Alarm Companies Make It To The Top 5 List
I’ve been obsessed with home security for years now. Before you invest in any security system it’s vital you research alarm companies beforehand. Here’s a list of top 5 alarm companies and why they are rank so high.
Choosing a home security system is one of the smartest investments you can make for your home. In 2016, victims of property crimes lost an estimated 15.6 billion dollars. A home security system will not only deter criminals and keep you safe in the event of a robbery or a medical emergency, but it can also integrate with your smart home devices.
We installed our alarm system over 6 years ago and it’s one of the best home improvement investments we’ve ever made. There’s nothing like the peace of mind you get from a great security system and you can also get a rate deduction on your homeowner’s policy too (depending on the companies policies, of course)
Smart home integration can save you time and money, too. Below are the top 5 rated alarm companies for 2018. We looked at price points, value, equipment, and ease of use.
Frontpoint has one of the best reputations in the home security business, and for a good reason. Their customer service is top-notch. Customers have 24/7 access to knowledgeable Frontpoint support staff via phone, email support, or messenger chat.
What are the pros?
- Excellent service
- Competitive price, DIY install
- Wireless devices
- No landline required
- Environmental, intrusion, and medical protection
- Integrates seamlessly with a variety of smart home devices
- You aren’t required to buy their equipment to get the monitoring service
Even better, Frontpoint gives you a 30-day money back guarantee. Most of their competitors only allow a seven or a fourteen day trial period, which isn’t enough time for most people to trial a system. But with anything, there’s always a downside.
- No landline option
- A long-term contract is required
- Customer’s credit rating can influence the final price
If your credit isn’t the greatest or you are unsure of signing a long-term contract, Frontpoint might not be the choice for you. But, it still is the best alarm company overall.
Vivint is well-known for their advanced technological security equipment and home automation integration features. Equipment also comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Modern equipment
- All wireless system
- Convenient same-day install
- Has both cellular and landline connections
- The mobile app that controls the system remotely
- Home automation and environmental protection
Unfortunately, Vivint couldn’t clinch the top spot because:
- Requires pro install which can significantly add to upfront costs
- Long-term contract required
- Short trial period
- The monthly fee is higher than average
Despite the higher upfront costs, Vivint’s technology is advanced but also user-friendly. The lifetime warranty is also a nice feature for added peace of mind.
ADT Monitored is one of the oldest security systems in the U.S. The company has a decent reputation, and their monitoring is very reliable. However, customer service reviews are mixed, and they do require a long-term contract.
- Monthly rates are low compared to most competitors
- Installation is free, so lower upfront costs
- Equipment can be wireless or hardwired into your home
- Indoor and outdoor cameras are an optional part of their equipment package
- Medical devices work inside and outside the home for added safety and security
- Home automation also has voice recognition technology
- Long-term contract
- Technicians are required to visit the home
- Customer service is spotty
What makes ADT Monitored an excellent choice for first-time home security buyers is their six-month money back guarantee. No other competitor comes close with such a flexible trial period.
SimpliSafe is an excellent choice for the unsure or the budget-conscious. The company doesn’t require you to sign a contract. SimpliSafe provides affordable security systems that put more of an emphasis on monitoring the property for a more streamlined security system.
- DIY install
- Low monthly rates
- Monitoring services are award-winning
- No long-term contract required
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular alerts
- Environmental protection
- Indoor video surveillance
- Alarms that work without monitoring
Another plus is that SimpliSafe offers a 60-day equipment trial. Cons are the company only provides proprietary equipment so that the upfront cost can be a little steep. All in all, SimpliSafe is a reliable choice for first-time home security buyers and customers on a budget.
Rounding out the top 5 rated alarm companies is Protect America. Rates are locked in for life, so no nasty surprises come bill time. Equipment includes a lifetime warranty, too.
- Price is guaranteed to stay low for the duration of the contract
- Equipment is all wireless
- Install is DIY
- Monitoring via landline, broadband, or WiFi
- Environmental monitoring also available
- Smartphone control and home automation
- Good customer service and support
- Long-term contract required
- Upfront costs and starter fees apply
- The cellular monitoring option costs more
When you decide to invest in a home security system, it’s crucial that you research the company before you sign on the dotted line. Plus, you want to consider what the company offers and how it aligns with your unique needs. Always read the fine print. But when you’re ready to take the plunge, you’re guaranteed to get a good value for your money when you go with any of these top 5 rated alarm companies.
Don’t forget to read Feeling Safe At Home With A Great Alarm System too!
And as always, thanks so much for stopping by! If you like this post, Here’s Why These Alarm Companies Make It to the Top 5 List, subscribe via email below and never miss a post again!